We’ll increase conversions by


on your website.

Get a FREE Audit today
See how we can help your business increase conversion rates

A statistical significance calculator for your own AB split tests

AB Test Significance Calculator


What is statistical significance?

Statistical significance gives researchers the assurance to make judgments regarding a study’s findings. This is typically done by estimating the likelihood that any effect or relationship found in data samples could have happened by chance alone; if it is less than 0.05 (a 5% risk), then there is statistically significant evidence that the result is true for the larger population that the study was based on.

Different degrees of statistical significance may be accepted or rejected as necessary depending on the study aims and requirements relevant to the subject.

How a Statistical Significance Calculator Works

When a given study is finished, using an A/B testing statistical significance calculator will quickly and accurately perform the relevant mathematical equations to determine a p-value.

These computations differ depending on whether a t-test or chi-squared test is being run; in each case, the result is obtained by computing the appropriate statistic and level of freedom from sample data against the relevant distributions.

To make informed decisions, every data set needs to be carefully examined for statistical significance.

Thankfully, there exist calculators and software programs that may speed up this procedure by taking your sample data and the null hypothesis under test as inputs and producing the p-value, a crucial relevance indicator, as an output. You’ll always have the necessary tools at your disposal thanks to the numerous tests that are included in well-known programs like Excel, R, SPSS, Minitab, or SAS!

Accuracy is crucial for achieving meaningful outcomes. So, before interpreting their results, researchers should use caution when using internet calculators and think about consulting a statistician. Using the knowledge of experts or specialist software programs could produce more accurate results and guarantee the reliability of your judgments.

Why statistical significance is important in research and data analysis

In data analysis and research, statistical significance is a crucial tool for determining whether associations or effects observed in a sample are likely to hold true on wider scales.

Without it, random variation could cause even findings that seem to be accurate to be incorrect.

Thus, when conducting studies to test hypotheses or comparing groups, statistical significance becomes crucial. This helps researchers identify differences that are meaningful and not just coincidental occurrences.

For researchers and data analysts, statistical significance is a crucial tool since it enables them to precisely pinpoint significant trends in their findings.

When rejecting the null hypothesis, for example, we can define a desirable level of risk tolerance, such as 0.05, to make sure that our conclusions are supported by reliable data with a very small likelihood of error.

In the end, this enables us to make knowledgeable decisions based on trustworthy information, which is essential for any fruitful endeavor.

The Role of P-Values to Calculate Statistical Significance

P-values are a crucial metric for assessing the reliability of any given statistical investigation.

Based on probability values derived from those results, they assist in determining whether it is likely or unlikely that a null hypothesis, such as no difference between two groups, is true given a set of data. In essence, p-values allow for objective evaluations of activities that would otherwise be subjective and can be utilized to shed important light on study findings.

P-values are a key indicator when assessing data as to whether the outcome is likely to be the product of chance or a true effect in the population.

In general, if a determined p-value is less than 0.05 (the selected level of significance), it signifies that the null hypothesis is supported by evidence and that this event was not merely the result of chance. In our example, we have a 3% likelihood for its occurrence to be attributable to merely coincidence versus 97% from something bigger than simply a pure fluke. A higher p-value indicates that outcomes are more likely to be attributed to luck rather than actual impacts in said group.

However, it should be kept in mind that while these figures offer us with information about probabilities, they do not necessarily imply strength or significance. As a result, before forming any firm conclusions about your findings, other statistics like confidence level and effect sizes can help.

In Conclusion

The concept of statistical significance is crucial to research and data analysis because it enables us to determine whether the outcomes of our investigations are merely the product of chance or accurate representations of the underlying population.

There are many popular statistical tests that can be used to establish significance, and each has advantages and disadvantages.

P-values are crucial for assessing if a result is statistically significant, but it’s important to keep in mind that they have limitations and that there has been much controversy surrounding their use among statisticians. Researchers may find statistical significance calculators to be useful, but manual computations are also an option. View our YouTube videos on the subject if you’re interested in learning more about statistical significance.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hi, I’m Kurt Philip, the founder & CEO of Convertica. I live and breathe conversion rate optimization. I hope you enjoy our findings.

We’ve worked with over 1000 businesses in the last 6 years.
Let’s jump on a quick call to see how we can help yours.

Book FREE CRO Call

Client Case Studies

Follow us on Youtube